Second-hand Toys & Gear
Purchasing secondhand items is clearly easier on the pocketbook, and on the planet. However, before you buy, you should consider all possible pros and cons. Make sure, and this goes for any item that you would chose to bring into your home, you check it out for safety, durability and wear and tear.
Safety and warnings concerning second-hand products:
- Advice on Second-Hand Toys from the Government of Canada
- Health Canada’s Guide to Second-hand Products
Where to find good (secondhand) stuff
- The Knick Knack Nook of course!
- The Annual Montessori Kid & Kaboodle Sale — this year on 26 April, 2014.
- The West Coast Child Care Resource Centre has a lending library, searchable on line. According to their website, “Westcoast Mobile Lending offers families the opportunity to borrow toys, children’s storybooks, and parenting books and videos to use at home. Through the Mobile Lending program families can borrow specially selected toys and games to use with children to support their physical, social, emotional, and language development.” Click here to learn more.
- Tree Hugger.com points out Seven Spots to find Secondhand BabyGear online
The Great Diaper Debate
- From CBC — an article on why choosing cloth diapers makes sense.
- And more good reasons from Cheerful Cheeks.com